Friday, April 08, 2005

We See Things Differently With The Eyes Of The Heart

Owen and Ma
Owen and Mzee, Kenya


Every single time I look at this photo, something wonderful happens inside me.
I can actually feel all the love these two share.

All you have to do is look at the expressions on their faces, their relaxed body language, the comfort each derives from their close proximity. It's one of the most beautiful images I've ever seen.

I adore the stately grace and intelligence displayed by the tortoise, contrasting with Owen's loving, playful demeanour. And the way they're both looking directly into the lens leads me to believe that they knew exactly what was going on and happily posed for the camera, don't you?

If you don't know about how this remarkable pair got hooked up, it was after the December tsunami. Owen, a 300 lb, one-year-old hippo, had been washed out to sea on the Kenyan coast and separated from his mother when the wave hit. Somehow he got washed back in and was rescued by local park rangers. When he arrived at the wildlife enclosure where he is now, he bonded instantly with Mzee, this rather graceful 100 year old male tortoise, who has become like a surrogate mother to him. They are inseparable. Owen follows Mzee around, licks his face, and they eat and sleep together. Sounds like SO many of my gay friends!

But seriously, looking at these two, I'm reminded of how grateful I am to share this planet with such beautiful beings as these.

category: Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment