Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Making a Blog More "Bloggy"


"Embrace reality by imagination." –Austin Osman Spare


I've had a lot of fun writing and maintaining a blog for the last three months, and I've got to say the blogosphere is a fascinating place. I've been amazed at how much stuff there is out there, and how if you want people to actually visit your site you've got to make your blog more "bloggy". So as you may have noticed, I've posted some stuff that I hoped people would respond to, and you have; I've added some of my favourite links, a search engine, links to my messageboard, links to a web-ring, and most importantly, links to other blogs.

Other blogs have been fun to explore and I've found so many fabulous people out there that I know I never would've found any other way. I found the unreal painting above at Jason Louv's blog The Devil's Advocate, which is so worth a visit. The blogosphere is a bit like that painting for me...you can feel just like one of those alpacas sometimes, vigilantly awaiting input.

Having a site meter is cool too, because I can get some. I've had nearly a thousand hits from 16 different timezones. And some people have found my blog through search engines, looking for things like "smoked a joint", "gay male", "Barbara Marciniak", and the best one, "adult diapers"!

I've had other blogs link to my blog, like The Merkin and Shamanic Ways (thank you), and if more people could be bothered posting some more comments on this page, my little piece of blogdom would be perfect.

If you haven't yet checked The Last Nail, then make that your first stop. It is utterly hilarious, and the disembodied head of Christopher Walken(which is somewhat of a mascot) overlaid onto his renovation blueprints, is genius.

Next is
Go Fug Yourself, which is heaven if you like to watch how someone can expertly cut another's deplorable fashion sense into shreds in one sentence.

For the wordsmiths, I've already covered
Cafe Mo in another post, but if you haven't seen it, it's highly recommended.

Then of course if you want a laugh go read what April Winchell or Margaret Cho are writing in their blogs.

Central Station Records here in Melbourne is a blog I can proudly say mine helped inspire, and as that rascal Jim K is one of the driving forces behind it, you can expect a bit of strangeness along with that week's list of new releases.

One of the PAN UK crew, Crystal Eagle has a blog that's good for those studying the Dreamspell too.

So far I haven't had much luck finding Australian blogs that I like, and when I checked out some of this year's so-called winners of local blog award sites I was appalled (sorry). Help in this department would be appreciated.

So thanks everybody for all the comments, the return hits, the love, and of course, for contributing to overall success of the blogginess of my blog.

You blog, er rock my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment