Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Otherware Salutes: The Spiritual Cinema Circle

When you live your life with enthusiasm and spirit,
you can create miracles.
You can also wind up falling flat on your face if you don't b
ack up your intent with action and intelligence.

I've done both, and last week I was reminded of the truth that anyone who's really on a "journey" has to do both. And that it's ok to fail, as long as you can see that failing at things sometimes doesn't mean that you are a failure.

Today I’d like to honour Stephen Simon from the gang at The Spiritual Cinema Circle. I've mentioned him before in the Indigo kids post, and it was he that reminded me of this fact, and as I have wanted to write a little something about “The Circle”, I now have the perfect excuse.

I was on a tele-conference call, participating in the first lecture of an eight-week Master Class in Spiritual Cinema. I became a Circle member earlier this year, and when I found out about the Master Class I knew I had to be part of it, No Matter What. I got that same energetic impulse that I got before the eclipse and at other times which have turned out to be key turning points in my life. I’ve learned over time to trust these inner promptings because my "Fiduciary" hasn't been wrong yet. I haven't always listened mind you, but that's another story...The ancient Egyptians called the voice in the head the Ka. It was considered to be a double, or another version of the self used for guidance or inspiration. It's also your "intuition" or "higher self". The P's call it the "fiduciary". Whatever name you like best, it's nowhere near as important as the relationship you build with it. It will help you make the shift from linear to multidimensional living.


Straight after I read the invitation I just knew that I was already a part of the Master Class group. That Group. All I had to do was to connect with them now, in 3-D. I couldn't afford the enrolment fee though and wondered what I could do...I tried getting some extra dj work. Nada. A few extra students turned up to yoga but it wasn’t quite enough. A week before the course was to start I got this nagging feeling that wouldn’t stop, and had to find a way to make it work, so....I wrote one email. It was to someone I had never met, and still haven't. The person wishes to remain anonymous, but a week later I learned that my tuition fees had been taken care of. What!? Oh wow.


That first class, as Stephen Simon said himself, felt "electric", and the course is going to totally rock. James Twyman and Neale Donald Walsch are coming onto the calls over the next few weeks to speak about their experiences and answer questions about their movies, and every aspect of the movie business is going to be covered, from screenwriting to finding the right producer, as well as the inside scoop on what makes the Hollywood machine tick. The best part is that Stephen Simon’s honesty and encouraging attitude set a very positive tone from the get go. He took a few minutes to tell us about the kind of space he intended to help us create as well as a bit about his background.

He’s one that certainly knows a thing or two about miracles. His life is a good example of someone who's beaten the odds more than once. He spoke of how important it is to be able to be ok with failing sometimes, as many of the people on the call were aspiring filmmakers, actors or writers themselves. He described some of his own encounters with failure in the past, but said how essential it is to not equate that kind of failure with feeling like a failure as a person. And he's right. But no matter how many times I think I've gotten it, it's always reassuring when someone else who's walked a similar path says that. He now directs major film projects in Hollywood (Indigo being the latest one), he chooses the films distributed by the Spiritual Cinema Circle and helps to run it, and he now spearheads the movement behind this much needed new film genre.

personally, it took me a long time to get that it’s ok to fail, as my life has certainly had its fair share of ups and downs, and I always blamed. I had a bad case of the "poor me's" for a long time. But a few years back, after a particularly dark period, my lover at the time told me that he didn't “do” the "poor me's" and it really woke me up. He left me shortly after that, but his statement was a huge gift. I knew his stance was the right one, so I picked myself up, for what seemed like the thousandth time, and made a deal with myself that if my life fucked up again, I'd try my best to not only see the lessons, but to be more objective, and stop believing that I was creating all this crap because I was a total loser. It was good advice, and since then life has improved dramatically!

I feel incredibly fortunate to now be a part of this network and for the potential that it has opened up. And there are so many unspoken understandings in this kind of heart-centered environment, enabling one to concentrate on just being one’s best. Dj-ing, in it's purest sense for me, is all heart, but in order to get to that space with the right bunch of people, you've often got to battle your way through all these tiresome things. There are the clueless door bitches with bad attitudes, the know it all club-owners who just want you to "pump it up", the carting of heavy records down dimly lit, sometimes smelly back alleys, often at 5am, or in heels, or both, the names being left off the door list, the promoters who promise,"you'll get paid properly once we've built up the night" then sack you once they've built up the night, and that's just skimming the surface, but suffice to say that I've had enough of the lower-chakra work environments to last several lifetimes. Anyway, I think I might even try pitching a film idea I’ve been aching to do at some point too.... Funny, when I first had the idea for it, I never in a million years thought I might actually be able to pitch the idea to a Hollywood director! We live in incredible times. The invisible world is getting easier to navigate.

I haven't even begun to touch on my passion for cinema in my posts so far, but let's just say, I really love good film. Art house, cult, foreign films, documentaries, Sci-Fi - stuff that’s a bit edgier, mostly. And a really good black comedy or Japanese animation can't be beaten.

Last year I started a film fest called "Underground Knowledge" and organised a couple of screenings of the Power Hour's "911 In Plane Site" as well as William Henry's "Stargates Of the Gods". I got in touch with the filmmakers themselves, organised a very lush private cinema, and split the costs with all the people who came to see the docos. It worked really well, and I was extremely relieved when the response was so positive, and I covered my costs. Over the last few weeks I've been busily organising more screenings, more venues and more movies, and I feel really good about the way it's all been coming together.

When I first got the urge to start a film thing I hesitated at first. My inner critic, who was sporting boxing gloves that day, cornered me in the ring and said while striking me with a left hook, "Who are you to put on a film festival? You never went to film school. You’ve never even worked in the industry, what gives you the right?"
My sexy inner Systems-Buster wasn't going down that easy though and countered with a jab to the Critic’s ribs saying,
“I wouldn’t be so sure about that, darling. I can pick killer stuff (holding up a compact and fixing her lipstick). I spend every spare moment researching underground knowledge. I know this.” But it was a stalemate. For all my inner battles, it still took an acquaintance of mine to convince me one day to just go for it. He said, "Maybe you had the idea because YOU'RE the one who's meant to do it." Smart guy.

So, my desire to be in the Master Class was fuelled by wanting to learn as much about the industry as possible, and considering my tastes, the concept behind it is just brilliant and I'd love to help promote spiritual cinema here in Australia. Synchronistically, I was offered access to a state-of-the-art cinema here in Melbourne a few days earlier, where screening these types of films would be ideal. V. Exciting.

I’m caught off guard in a way, by all this, but it’s so good to realise I’m seeing the manifestation of what I thought was just a dream, right before my eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment