Friday, February 10, 2006

Stokehouse NYD 2006

Mood: in good spirits

Look at those amazing blue eyes of Ollie's. You should see them in real life. They're like the bottomless ocean and totally mesmerizing. People in the know will go, "Oh, no wonder!" when I tell you his birthday is on the 11/11. Yah.
Anyway, this was taken on Polly's mobile phone at this year's 3rd annual Stokehouse NY Day party on St Kilda Beach, and Ollie had just landed in Melbourne a couple of weeks prior, from Siberia no less, to relocate to sunnier climes and at long last, shack up with his Aussie boyfriend. You can tell he's glad he came, can't you?

I got there at around 3:30 in the afternoon and wasn't djing til 9pm so I got to hang out in my pyramid the whole day. I had so many people I didn't know actually remove it from my head then put it on their own, run over to where their friends were on the dancefloor and show off. So funny. Luckily it always came back.

Generally people just smiled or asked questions about it at the party and it sparked loads of fab conversations, or people just didn't see it ( I love that - when it's not part of someone else's version of reality they don't even notice it at all). I got a couple of bemused looks, especially when I put it back on my head at the end of my set while everyone was asking for an encore and the people who hadn't seen me in it earlier kind of went, "what dat?"

I've got a silver one as well, which is really great for channeling so when I met this guy recently who told me he'd been channeling the Pleiadians for 12 years I lent it to him and told him to go nuts. I'm still waiting for a download report but I bumped into him last night and he told me that progress was good. I also told him that I needed it back really soon. I've been feeling like I should be wearing it right now. Some cool things have been happening lately.

But back to the Stokehouse event, this year they sold over a thousand tickets, which is more than double of last year's crowd so it wasn't exactly the exclusive invite-only party that it had been and sadly it was lacking most of the wonderful magic that had made the event such a huge success in the past - but that's what happens I guess. I can't help being annoyed especially as I helped create something beautiful over the last couple of New Year's - last year people were still glowing about the party until March! I felt like it got trodden on this year. Greed stinks, especially when it encroaches into your sacred spaces. In discos, they're kinda hard to find.
I still had a really fun day and considering that I sold about 50 tickets without blinking an eyelid, I was lucky to have loads of great friends there too. And by the end of the day things improved dramatically, I got to spin some vinyl and thankfully, the crowd got right down.

Anyway, thought you might like to see how I ushered in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment