Sunday, January 30, 2005

ABC Poems


liz and toby
Originally uploaded by
lizmuzik.

OK, today I am obsessed with these 26 word-limit offerings to the alphabet gods.
The rules are:

The first word starts with A, the second word starts with B, the third word starts with C, if you need further instruction, forget it.

Here's a personal favourite from the aforementioned plasma-perking wordsmith, Ms Balistreri.

Book Blurbs

"A brilliant collection....deft!" --Evan Fenton, Georgetown Herald

"Inventive joyride." --Kenneth Langton Mays, Nation

"Offbeat poems. Quirky." --Rashonda Smith, Time

"Unsurpassed! Very witty." --Xavier Yates, Zuricher

When I woke up this morning, I realised a beginning for an ABC poem had been percolating in my sleep. I recited it to Toby, and although he was still half-asleep he became magically ignited by the challenge. So having come up with the first two lines, I thrust a piece of paper and pen in his direction.

I love him for a multitude of reasons, but 30 minutes later, and after hearing him read me his crazed assignment, I think you can all begin to see why. Enjoy.

T.O.B. to tha L.I.Z.

Another bloody crackhead!
Dehyrated, exhausted, finally getting horny.
Intelligent Japanese Kabukist Liz Millar -
naked, orgasmic.
Planning quiet rooting session.
Tryst under Venus' wings,
X-rated, yet...Zen.

We laughed and laughed and laughed.

Then I called him a genius.

Click the link at the top of this post for more examples, and to all you cunning linguists out there, don't be shy now!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:09 pm

    Brett said:

    Dedicated to Liz & Toby - you guys...I'm speechless! except for this:

    Although Brett conceded defeat, energy flowed gracefully.
    Harnessing its joyous kaleidoscope-ish lunacy, madness nearly overran. Purposefully, quite rapidly, sadness turned upside-down.
    Valor!
    Wonder!
    Xanadu!
    Yes: ZEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett,

    YOU ARE FRICKIN HILARIOUS. More! More!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alternatively:
    "Brett crafted deftly flowing, greatly hilarious, irresistably joyous kabbalah", Liz mused.
    Nervous of possibilities quickly revealed, she turned unto vaunted Xanadu, yesterday's zeitgeist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    I see the bar has been raised yet again!
    I loved your offering, but
    I'm afraid that it's scared everybody else off the thesaurus.

    Prove me wrong peepz, prove me fucking wrong.

    ReplyDelete